There are so many fun and exciting things to look forward to every summer: Time with friends, afternoons in the pool, vacations, and refreshing treats! With so much to keep us busy, it’s easy to forget about putting our oral health first. Luckily, there are many easy ways to ensure our teeth stay healthy this summer.
Our top summer care tips for healthy teeth are:
- Stock up on healthy snacks! Make sure you keep the processed junk food out of the house and opt for refreshing fruits and vegetables instead. Strawberries, apples, and celery are great additions to any party platter for your guests! They all help to keep teeth clean by increasing the mouth’s production of saliva.
- Spending the day at the pool? Ditch the sugary lemonade—make your own instead! Here’s a healthy version the whole family is sure to enjoy! Pack fresh foods with high water content to keep you cool. Watermelon and apples are great options!
- If you’re planning to travel for a family vacation, pack a personal oral hygiene kit. Items to include are a To-Go toothbrush, floss, compact toothbrush, travel sized mouth rinse, and toothpaste.
- Healthy starts at home! If you’re opting to stay indoors during the hot summer afternoons, spend quality time with family making a fruit salad or fresh fruit popsicles together!
- Although tempting, avoid chewing ice to cool down. This can lead to cracked or chipped teeth. Have water or other non-sweetened beverages handy instead.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to heat stroke and lessens saliva production, which is necessary to fight bacteria in the mouth.
We hope you have a safe and healthy summer! Don’t forget to contact us for your next appointment!
Schedule a dental check-up today.